The ecosystem of 2Ether will include a decentralized exchange, 2EtherEx. How are decentralized exchanges – DEX – different from traditional centralized exchanges? Are they really better? What issues do they face? We'll tell you all about it a series of posts. This time, we'll look at centralized exchanges – why they have nothing to do with real decentralization and what risks they pose.submitted by 2Ether to u/2Ether [link] [comments]
Big exchanges like Coinbase and Huobi allow you to trade in decentralized crypto assets, but they themselves are completely centralized. This is for three reasons:
1) All transactions are processed off-chain and recorded in the exchange's own database. All those thousands of trades made every day on Coinbase, for example, are never recorded on the blockchain.
2) Client funds are stored in a centralized way. When you deposit money on an exchange, it goes into the main wallet of the exchange. It's huge – there are millions of dollars' worth of crypto there. If you send money from your blockchain wallet, then this – and only this – operation is recorded on the blockchain. After this, the centralized exchange assigns you credit of sorts – it puts as much crypto on your individual account as you put in the main wallet. At the end of trading, when you want to withdraw your profits, you sort of exchange those credits for the real crypto, which gets sent to your wallet. This transaction is also recorded on the blockchain. But everything in between has nothing to do with decentralization.
3) The exchange management is centralized – it's in the hands of a few people. They can become very powerful, and their decisions influence what happens to your funds. For example, Changpeng Zhao, the CEO of Binance, has such weight in the industry that he doesn't even comment on the potential of any coins. On the other hand, illegal actions taken by exchange executives can have terrible consequences. When the CEO of the Canadian exchange Quadriga was found dead in India, it turned out that almost $100 million were missing from the accounts. This money will probably never be found.
Centralization of exchanges has several more risks:
- Easy target for hackers. We've all heard about massive thefts from exchanges – sometimes up to $500 million. Since all the funds are stored together, exchanges' wallets are among the most attractive things to hack, so criminals keep trying.
- Arbitrary actions. An exchange can suddenly close operations in a certain country, introduce an obligatory KYC, or delist an asset.
So if centralized exchanges are so risky, why do most traders use them? The reason is that they have some very serious advantages, too. We'll look at those advantages in our next post.
Web site — https://2ether.com/ Twitter — https://twitter.com/2Ether_ Discord — https://discord.gg/TuqG4py Facebook — https://www.facebook.com/2Ethe Reddit — https://www.reddit.com/use2Ether Medium — https://medium.com/@2ether Teletype — https://teletype.in/@2ether Telegram — https://t.me/ether2support Telegram chat — https://t.me/blockchain_2ether
|Rate (per day)||2.10||12.57|
Generated with BBoe's Subreddit Stats (Donate)
Kucoin CEO Says Exchange Hack Suspects ‘Found,’ $204 Million Recovered. October 4, 2020 by World Recent 0 Comments. Crypto. Share on Facebook. Share on Twitter. Share on Pinterest. Share on LinkedIn. According to the Kucoin exchange CEO Johnny Lyu, the trading platform has recovered $204 million in crypto assets since October 1. The exchange executive says the hacking suspects have been ... Reports from a Swiss news outlet, Inside Paradeplatz, stated that the Liechtenstein Financial Market Authority, FMA, had rejected the Binance exchange application to take over the reigns at Union Bank as a major shareholder. The report further states, Binance CEO, Changpeng “CZ” Zhao application to sit at the bank’s Board of Directors was also swiftly rejected in a ruling released on ... Bitcoin Quadriga CEO Death – Funds Moved From ‘Lost’ Cold Wallets. Emilio Janus Feb 04, 2019 12:00 . Bitcoin Quadriga CEO Death – Funds Moved From ‘Lost’ Cold Wallets. Emilio Janus Feb 04, 2019 12:00 . Share. Tweet. Send. Share. A company with legal problems; a mysterious death; missing customer funds. The QuadrigaCX story could have come straight from the pen of a hack ... Autumn Radtke, the US-born CEO of First Meta, was found dead following an apparent suicide in her Singapore home. The director of the digital currencies exchange was 28 years old and in charge of the company since 2012. “The First Meta team is shocked and saddened by the tragic loss of our friend and CEORead More Meanwhile, Ashish Singhal, CEO and founder of the cryptocurrency exchange Coinswitch.co, said, “In a deflationary scenario, the chances of negative interest rates are high, and users would want to move their existing assets into more stable assets like bitcoin to prevent loss in their asset value.” Gin Chao, Binance's Chief Strategy Officer, confirmed preliminary talks with Facebook to list their Libra coin on Binance's marketplace.
[index]          
If you decide to open an account, we will both get $10.00 in Bitcoin when you buy or sell at least $100 in cryptocurrency. This helps the channel out. Thank you! Binance is another good exchange ... This Line Is Critical For Bitcoin + Binance Scandal Altcoin Daily. Loading... Unsubscribe from Altcoin Daily? Cancel Unsubscribe. Working... Subscribe Subscribed Unsubscribe 161K. Loading ... Bitcoin and cryptocurrency news - Syscoin blockchain compromised, Binance APIs hacked, IRS forming the ultimte boy band, Ugandan government cracks down on social media, Marijuana is the new ... VeChain's CEO just went live to discuss the stolen VET. Bitcoin's next move will set the tone for 2020! QuadrigaCX Exchange CEO's body to be exhumed. THIS critical support level MUST HOLD for Bitcoin. BitTorrent ICO Aftermath - Binance launchpad was overloaded and only 962 participants got into the sale. Justice for Bitgrail as CEO found personally liable for damages. Kik fights SEC. #Bittorent ... Binance US Explores List of Altcoins for Latest Launch Narrated by The #Cryptocurrency Portal Sunday Aug 11th, 2019 ***Support the channel*** Check out our partner page at: https://thelocalforum ... Close. This video is unavailable.